Sunday, March 15, 2009

Father knows best?

Just like many teenagers, growing up I felt that my parents were dumb and had no idea what was going on with the world or in my life. Like many other fathers, my dad’s advice would be broad from my love life to how I should prepare for a career. I would simply shrug it off and never really take his advice to heart.

But when I came to college a strange thing happened to me. I realized that my father actually knew what he was talking about.

When I was younger, to kill time in car rides my father would often give me, what I thought to be, a bizarre interview question. Our favorite one was calculating how many gas stations were in Kansas. He told me to look at what I knew and then from there I could estimate what the answer was. He told me that the interviewer would want to know how I think rather than arriving at the correct answer. My friends would also play this game with us and they learned the techniques behind it as well.

One day while in my dorm room I received a phone call from one of my friends who is in the business school at Georgetown University. She had just finished and interview for a business club where they asked her a question very similar to the one that my dad used to ask us to pass time. I was amazed. She told me how helpful it was to know how to answer the question and how she knew that my dad would love to know that they actually asked her a question like his.

As time went on I noticed more and more things that my father had told me that I didn’t believe but now I see that he is right. It is a strange feeling to constantly doubt someone only to be proven wrong when you’re away from them. I guess what they say is true and father really does know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment